Hooray, it's a quiz! Test your children's book knowledge every month – first up is a quiz to celebrate Margaret Mahy's birthday. Answers are at the bottom of the page. Good luck...
1. What's the name of the 14-year-old protagonist in The Changeover?
2. Where was Margaret Mahy born?
3. Margaret Mahy's first published story, 'Harry is Bad', appeared in the Bay of Plenty Beacon. How old was she?
4. When she was 62, Margaret Mahy got a tattoo on her right shoulder. What was the tattoo of?
A. A skull with a rose in its teeth
B. The lion from A Lion in the Meadow
C. The mother from The Man Whose Mother was a Pirate
D. A map of New Zealand
5. In 2013, the NZ Children's Book Awards renamed the Book of the Year Award as the Margaret Mahy Book of the Year Award. Which book won it that year?
A. The Boring Book by Vasanti Unka
B. Mister Whistler by Margaret Mahy, illustrated by Gavin Bishop
C. Into the River by Ted Dawe
D. The Moon and Farmer McPhee by Margaret Mahy, illustrated by David Elliot
6. Who was the illustrator of 2006's Down the Back of the Chair?
A. Quentin Blake
B. Gavin Bishop
C. Polly Dunbar
D. Jenny Williams
7. Who interviewed Margaret Mahy in the 2008 documentary, A Tall Long Faced Tale?
A. Elizabeth Knox
B. Joy Cowley
C. Margaret Mahy
D. Kim Hill
8. Who was the 2016 winner of the Storylines Margaret Mahy Medal?
A. Pamela Allen
B. Jack Lasenby
C. Tessa Duder
D. Barbara Else
9. Margaret Mahy twice won the prestigious Carnegie Medal, for The Changeover and _________?
A. The Catalogue of the Universe
B. The Haunting
D. The Tricksters
10. In which year was Kaitangata Twitch (subsequently made into a successful TV series) first published?